Science Librarian (2 positions) -- University of Oklahoma -- Norman, OK
The University of Oklahoma Libraries seeks innovative, collaborative and highly motivated individuals to serve as Science Librarians for multiple science departments. Successful candidates will have a strong understanding of scholarly information and research methods across multiple science disciplines, and will join a diverse team of librarians and specialists serving the STEM fields and collaborating to promote scholarly communication, open educational resources, emerging technologies, research data management, digital scholarship and geospatial information systems supporting the learning and research needs of science departments. Science Librarians assist in managing collections, provide library instruction and consultations for faculty and students, and participate in library-related public programming, including events and exhibits.
Responsibilities based on candidates’ skills and organizational need:
- Research & Scholarship: Cultivate and communicate an understanding of the professional literature, research and data life cycles, research trends/methodologies/processes within specific disciplines, using this understanding to serve faculty and students in a research library setting; understand the library’s role in research and scholarship.
- Outreach & Engagement: Build and sustain effective working relationships and work collaboratively in a diverse and fast-paced environment; understand and communicate current and emerging trends/issues related to scholarly communication, open access, open educational resources, information and data literacy, research data management, impact metrics, and digital scholarship; promote library services to engage new models of research and teaching in the sciences.
- Teaching & Learning: Engage faculty and instructors to integrate information, digital and data literacy concepts and skills into the curriculum; coordinate with colleagues to create teaching/learning opportunities to meet new and emerging educational needs.
Successful candidates will…
- Solve problems flexibly, creatively, and with a strong commitment to service excellence.
- Take initiative, be self-directed, and innovate.
- Utilize strong organizational, project, and time management skills to lead or coordinate multiple projects, working with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills.
- Graduate degree in a science discipline or in library/information science from an ALA-accredited degree program; degree(s) must be completed by May 2018
- One year work experience in a library, academic or customer service setting
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Research skills
- Computer skills
Salary range: $50,000-$60,000. Two full-time positions; excellent benefits and professional development support. To view a full position description and learn how to apply, visit the OU Libraries’ website (https://libraries.ou.edu/content/jobs-ou-libraries).