Head of Cataloging & Metadata Services -- Rice University -- Houston, TX
Rice University is seeking a creative and future-oriented leader as the Head of Cataloging & Metadata Services. The successful candidate will provide leadership both in managing current staff and services and in collaboratively envisioning and implementing evolving services of this user-oriented department. The position reports to the Assistant University Librarian for Information Technology and Technical Services.
Responsibilities: Manages the day to day operation of the Cataloging & Metadata Services Department to achieve goals and objectives. Develops, sets and evaluates core services of the unit to ensure alignment with goals. Leads the department to participate in new collaborations and perform new work.
- Manages staff in the day-to-day departmental operations
- Responsible for hiring and retaining staff, career coaching, personal development for direct reports and accountable for the performance of employees
- Identifies professional developmental needs and creates and implements plans to provide opportunities to provide professional growth and development for staff
- Resolves employee relations issues and ensures work completion within schedule and constraints
- Develops and maintains the core services of the metadata services group or unit to optimize the ability of customers to locate information
- Develops, interprets, and recommends program goals and objectives, policies, and procedures, and courses of action
- Collects, prepares and analyzes reports and statistics; develops and monitors key metrics for performance against the goals and strategic plans of the library
- Coordinates the department’s work plan and related planning initiatives, policies and procedures responsive to the organization's mission, goals, and objectives
- Remains current on technology trends to evaluate emerging technologies for adoption and implementation to enhance library programs, services and collections
- Reviews and approves expenditures and cost recoveries and tracks against the approved budget
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications include:
- Master's Degree
- 5 years of related experience in a library setting with 2 years of experience as a successful manager in a library department.
- Demonstrated knowledge of all aspects of library operations including extensive knowledge of contemporary library practices, trends and emerging technologies
- Knowledge of and experience with outcomes and assessment of library services
- Knowledge of collection development, archival, acquisitions, metadata/cataloging, database management, library instruction and information literacy, public and technical services, and reference
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of diplomacy in persuading and influencing a wide variety of people at various levels to achieve results
- Demonstrated successful experience developing and maintaining library budgets
- Effective problem solving, analytical and organizational skills
- Demonstrated broad knowledge of library automation systems, online resources, and instructional technologies
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills and a demonstrated ability to work well with others in a team environment
Salary & benefits: $80,000 minimum, with hiring salary commensurate with experience and qualifications; no state or local income tax; 21 benefit days; 8 study days; a range of retirement options including TIAA/CREF; health and life insurance; and tuition waiver.
Environment: Rice University provides a stimulating work environment, with opportunities to participate in the delivery of innovative library services supported by leading edge technologies. Fondren Library (http://www.rice.edu/fondren) is a research library with over 2.8 million volumes and over 155,000 serial titles, including titles available through aggregators. The Library has a state-of-the-art off-site shelving facility. An active program of digital resource delivery and development is grounded in successful collaboration among library and university staff from Digital Scholarship Services, other library departments and university information technology staff. The department has active participation in the Name Authority Cooperative Program (NACO), American Library Association (ALA), and Digital Library Federation (DLF) groups.
Houston is a vibrant, multicultural city, with world-class visual and performing arts ranging from the traditional to the avant-garde. The fourth largest city in the country, Houston enjoys a moderate cost of living and easy proximity to the Gulf Coast. For more information, see: http://www.explore.rice.edu/explore/General_Information.asp.
Applications must be received by December 17, 2021 in order to be considered.
Please apply with cover letter, résumé, and the names, titles, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three references at: https://tinyurl.com/ricemetadata
Inquiries: Lisa Spiro at firstname.lastname@example.org or 713-348-2480.
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with commitment to diversity at all levels, and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.